Parks and Wildlife - allowances and entitlements

Recruitment drive now on

If you have ever considered a career with Parks and Wildlife, there are exciting jobs now on offer.

Watch the park ranger experience videos.

Go to the Northern Territory Government Careers website and apply for the following roles:

The Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory (NT) offers generous remunerations and employment conditions.

Find out about the types of jobs, watch the park ranger experience videos.

What’s included

As a full-time employee you will receive the following:

  • 38 hour work week for rangers
  • 6 weeks/30 days annual leave with leave loading
  • 3 weeks/15 days personal leave each year
  • long-service leave after 10 years
  • maternity and paternity leave
  • training and professional development opportunities
  • salary sacrifice
  • NT Allowance - payable to employees with dependents
  • access to Employee Assistance program for counselling services
  • generous superannuation
  • partially or wholly subsidised accommodation for rangers managing remotely located parks and reserves
  • recognition of prior service from previous government or educational institutions.

Find out the rates of pay, go to the Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment (OCPE) website.

Work/life balance

You may be entitled to the following:

  • study assistance
  • work/life balance including flexible work arrangements such as casual, flex-time and part-time
  • airfare assistance - for remote based staff
  • travel allowance for all official travel
  • relocation assistance - read about working in remote localities.

To find out about the benefits of working with the Northern Territory Government, go to the OCPE website.


The Public Sector Employment and Management Act (PSEMA) and Determinations establish entitlements for Northern Territory Government employees. Read the PSEMA on the OCPE website.

Below is a summary of entitlements that may be available when living in a remote location.

The entitlements help compensate for remote living challenges.

How much you will get will depend on how remote the location is.


Many ranger stations provide housing.

It can be at the ranger station, or at a nearby town with subsidised rent.

Houses come with:

  • basic furniture
  • whitegoods
  • hardware for services such as phone, internet and satellite television.

Travelling or camping allowance

This is paid if an you need to travel away from headquarters overnight.

The allowance covers:

  • accommodation or camping
  • meals
  • incidentals.

Other entitlements

You may also be entitled to fares out of remote localities.

This helps with travel and accommodation costs for employees and dependants to Darwin or Alice Springs

Extra leave days and special study leave is available.

Employees can accrue credit points towards paid study leave the longer they stay in a remote locality.


For information about a specific location call Parks and Wildlife on 08 8951 8251.

Last updated: 20 April 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!