Mobile food vans in our parks and reserves

Small business owners with a mobile food van can apply for permit to operate in a NT parks and reserves.

Applications are open to all parks across the NT.

Joint managed parks applications will need the approval of Traditional Owners.

To apply for a permit you must:

  • Have a registered business name and Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • be registered with Department of Health
  • provide the sale of food and/or drinks only
  • be self-sufficient with power, water supplies and waste
  • have public and product liability insurance for at least $10 million
  • show how the proposed operation will benefit the public and community

Before you apply

Read the mobile food/coffee vans on parks and reserves policy and guidelines PDF (902.6 KB).

Prepare the following information:

  • A detailed site plan of your proposed location of operation
  • A photo and description of your food/coffee van
  • Any requirements such as power, water or use of your own generator (if required)
  • Preferred days and time of operation


Permit fees depend on the location to an urban area with options various expiry options.

A security deposit of $1,000 per site on top of permit fees applies.

Permit TypeUrban
(within 30km radius of a city or town)
(outside 30km radius of city or town)
Single event $50 $50
Three months $800 $200
Six months $1,500 $400
Annual $3,000 $600
Multi-year – 2 years $4,500 $1,000
Multi-year – 3 years $6,000 $2,000


Parks and Wildlife Permits Office Darwin

Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm

Phone 08 8999 4486


Last updated: 11 July 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!