The Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory (Parks and Wildlife) manages 85 areas as parks and reserves. Of these 33 are subject to formal joint management with Aboriginal traditional owners.
These arrangements have mostly resulted from negotiated settlement of land and/or native title claims. These settlements secured the continued use of these areas as parks and the ability to provide ongoing visitor access and development.
The main aims and principles of joint management are:
- empowerment of traditional owners and equity in decisions about their land
- developing employment and economic opportunities for traditional owners
- improved cultural experiences for park visitors and a contribution to meeting tourism industry demand for more cultural tourism experiences
- conservation management that combines traditional with western scientific knowledge.
Parks jointly managed
Parks jointly managed include:
- Garig Gunak Barlu National Park (Cobourg Marine Park)
- Nitmiluk National Park
- Tnorala (Gosse Bluff) Conservation Reserve
- Barranyi (North Island) National Park
- Djukbinj National Park.
Jointly managed parks listed in Schedules under the Parks and Reserves (Framework for the Future) Act include:
- Judbarra / Gregory National Park
- Gregory’s Tree Historical Reserve
- Karlu Karlu / Devils Marbles Conservation Reserve
- Corroboree Rock Conservation Reserve
- Trephina Gorge Nature Park
- N’Dhala Gorge Nature Park
- Iytwelepenty / Davenport National Park
- Yeperenye / Emily and Jessie Gaps Nature Park
- Arltunga Historical Reserve
- Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve
- Napwerte / Ewaninga Rock Carvings Conservation Reserve
- Tjoritja / West MacDonnell National Park
- Finke Gorge National Park
- Watarrka National Park
- Native Gap Conservation Reserve
- Dulcie Range National Park
- Kuyunba Conservation Reserve
- Mary River National Park
- Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve
- Black Jungle / Lambells Lagoon Cons Reserve
- Harrison Dam Conservation Reserve
- Melacca Swamp Conservation Area
- Giwining / Flora River Nature Park
- Rainbow Valley Conservation Reserve
- Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
- Ruby Gap Nature Park
- Mac Clark (Acacia peuce) Conservation Reserve.
Last updated: 06 July 2021
Share this page:URL copied!