Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer Water Allocation Plan
The Tindall Limestone Aquifer represents one of the Territory's highest yielding, good quality groundwater resources.
The Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer Water Allocation Plan 2019-2024 was declared on 16 August 2019. The plan is the third water allocation plan for the region. It has a lifespan of five years and will be reviewed in this timeframe.
The plan was developed in consultation with the Katherine Water Advisory Committee.
The Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer Water Allocation Plan 2019-2024 provides water management arrangements for the Tindall Limestone Aquifer within the Katherine River catchment boundary.
Groundwater and the surface water derived from that groundwater are taken together to be the water resource managed under the plan. This includes part of the Katherine River where the flow is influenced by groundwater through springs and seepage from the Tindall Limestone Aquifer.
Water management arrangements focus on meeting the values of all water users. A principal objective of the plan is to maintain river levels in the Katherine River by meeting water requirements of water dependent ecosystems.
In the absence of any new information to inform an alternative estimated sustainable yield, the plan sets an estimated sustainable yield of 38,391ML, adopted from the 2016-2019 water allocation plan.
Early implementation of the plan will include activities to better define the non-consumptive (environmental and cultural) water requirements for the system. This will assist with establishing a new estimated sustainable yield for the next plan.
For more information review the comparisons between the current and previous plan .
View the map of the Daly Roper Beetaloo water control district.
Read the annual announced allocation (AAA) decisions for the current water allocation plan area:
- AAA 2020-21: Katherine Plan area – amended July 2020
- AAA decision 2020-21: Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer plan area
Read more about announced allocations.
Reports under the 2016-2019 Water Allocation Plan
Read the annual announced allocation decisions for the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan 2016-2019 :
- 2019/2020 Announced Allocations Report
- 2018/2019 Announced Allocations Report
- 2017/2018 Announced Allocation Report
- Important Information for the Water Allocation Plan for the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine – Katherine Railway Bridge/ Low Level Bridge Reporting Site
- 2016/2017 Announced Allocation Report
Reports under the 2011-2016 Water Allocation Plan
Read the annual announced allocation decisions for the following financial years provided under the previous water allocation plan:
- 2015/2016 Announced Allocation Report
- 2014/2015 Announced Allocation Report
- 2013/2014 Announced Allocation Report
- 2012/2013 Announced Allocation Report
- 2011/2012 Announced Allocation Report
- 2010/2011 Announced Allocations Report
For more information about announced water allocations, contact the Water Resources Division.
Read the Katherine Water Allocation Plan updates.
Water allocation plan background
These documents will give you background on the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan.
- Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer Water Allocation Plan 2019-2024
- Report on Community Engagement Katherine Tindall Limestone Water Allocation Plan 2019
- Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Background brief
- Water Allocation Plan, Tindall Limestone Aquifer Katherine
- Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan 2016-2019
- Report: End of Dry Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, October 2014
- Report: End of Wet Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, June 2014
- Report: End of Dry Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, October 2013
- Report: May 2013 Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Oolloo Aquifer WAP Measurements
- Report: Daly Low Flow Gaugings October 2009
For more information contact the Katherine Water Resource Planner on 08 8999 4017.
Last updated: 15 April 2021
Share this page:URL copied!