Planning for the Great Artesian Basin
In January 2010 a Water Control District was declared for the Northern Territory portion of the Great Artesian Basin. The Great Artesian Basin (GAB) is the largest underground water reserve in Australia.
It underlies approximately 22% of Australia and 6% of Northern Territory.
The GAB Strategic Management Plan was developed in 2000 with key objectives of encouraging legislative and administrative frameworks for sustainable water management and water use within the GAB.
The Strategic Management Plan was adopted by all governments responsible for GAB management.
Since 2010 water based development within the GAB water control district has been limited to stock and domestic use. The volumes of water being used are negligible and the likelihood of impact on environmental and cultural values considered to be minimal.
A range of monitoring activities are being conducted to gain a better understanding of the groundwater system and groundwater dependent ecosystem water dependencies. This information will inform development of a water allocation plan should demand for water increase in the future.
For more information:
Government agencies in Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia also have GAB information.
- Qld - https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/mining-energy-water/water/catchments-planning/water-plan-areas/great-artesian-basin
- SA - http://www.naturalresources.sa.gov.au/aridlands/water/water-allocation-plan
- NSW - https://www.water.nsw.gov.au/water-management/catchments-old/great-artesian-basin-old
- Summary of past drilling activity within the Great Artesian Basin
- Draft Great Artesian Basin (NT) Water Allocation Plan 2013-2023
- Hydrgeology of the GAB in the NT (2013)
- Technical Report: Great Artesian Basin Resource Assessment Oct 2012
- Wetlands of the Great Artesian Basin WCD 2011
- GAB (NT) Water Allocation Planning Background Report 2010
- GAB Water Control District 2010 Gazettal
- GAB Brochure 2010
- Hydrogeology of the GAB in the NT (1996)
- Capping of NT GAB Bores Report (2004)
Read the annual announced allocation (AAA) decisions for the current water allocation plan area:
Read more about announced allocations.
Reports under the 2016-2019 Water Allocation Plan
Read the annual announced allocation decisions for the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan 2016-2019 :
- 2019/2020 Announced Allocations Report
- 2018/2019 Announced Allocations Report
- 2017/2018 Announced Allocation Report
- Important Information for the Water Allocation Plan for the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine – Katherine Railway Bridge/ Low Level Bridge Reporting Site
- 2016/2017 Announced Allocation Report
Reports under the 2011-2016 Water Allocation Plan
Read the annual announced allocation decisions for the following financial years provided under the previous water allocation plan:
- 2015/2016 Announced Allocation Report
- 2014/2015 Announced Allocation Report
- 2013/2014 Announced Allocation Report
- 2012/2013 Announced Allocation Report
- 2011/2012 Announced Allocation Report
- 2010/2011 Announced Allocations Report
For more information about announced water allocations, contact the Water Resources Division.
Read the Katherine Water Allocation Plan updates.
Water allocation plan background
These documents will give you background on the Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan.
- Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer Water Allocation Plan 2019-2024
- Report on Community Engagement Katherine Tindall Limestone Water Allocation Plan 2019
- Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Background brief
- Water Allocation Plan, Tindall Limestone Aquifer Katherine
- Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Katherine Water Allocation Plan 2016-2019
- Report: End of Dry Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, October 2014
- Report: End of Wet Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, June 2014
- Report: End of Dry Season Stream Flow Measurements, Katherine and Daly Rivers, October 2013
- Report: May 2013 Katherine Tindall Limestone Aquifer, Oolloo Aquifer WAP Measurements
- Report: Daly Low Flow Gaugings October 2009
For more information contact the Katherine Water Resource Planner on 08 8999 4017.
Last updated: 28 June 2022
Share this page:URL copied!