Environment Protection Bill 2019
CAUTION: ARCHIVED CONTENT
This content was created to serve a specific purpose at a particular period/time.
It may contain references to policy positions, approaches, documents or other information that has been superseded.
The Northern Territory is reviewing and reforming the current environmental regulatory system. Reforms are critical to achieving a robust regulatory system that the community will trust while encouraging industry investment and economic growth.
The Environment Protection Bill 2019 is the first stage of the environmental reforms. It has the purpose of introducing improvements to the environmental impact assessment and approval system for the Northern Territory comparable to other Australian jurisdictions and international best practice. It will replace the Environmental Assessment Act 1982 that has been in effect in the Northern Territory since 1984.
Further detail on each of the clauses of the Bill is contained in the Explanatory Statement to the Bill.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has prepared a range of documents to assist stakeholders to understand the Environment Protection Bill 2019.
- The environmental regulatory reform program
- The Environment Protection Bill 2019
- Environment Protection Regulations
- Developing new environment protection legislation
- Roles and responsibilities
- The changing role of the Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority (NT EPA)
- More public participation and scrutiny
- Environmental impact assessment system
- Environmental impact assessment process
- Proposed timeframes for environmental impact assessment
- Referral pathways for impact assessment
- Strategic proposals
- A new environmental approval
- Compliance and enforcement tools
- Protected environmental areas and prohibited actions
- Financial provisions – environment protection bonds, levies, funds and fees
- Closure Certificates and Closure Notices
- Transitional arrangements
- Mining, extractives and exploration
- Energy industry
- Pastoral industry
- Commercial fishing industry
- Farming industry
- Future reforms
- Frequently asked questions
- Environmental regulatory reform
Last updated: 13 August 2019
Share this page:URL copied!