Alice Springs Water Allocation Plan
The Alice Springs Water Allocation Plan 2016-2026 was declared on 16 February 2016.
The plan is the second water allocation plan for the region. It has a lifespan of ten years.
The plan applies to all surface water and groundwater within the Alice Springs Water Control District.
The surface water catchments and groundwater systems of the district are interconnected. Flows in the Todd River provide recharge to the Alice Springs Town Basin, Inner Farm Basin and Outer Farm Basin; and flows in Roe Creek, a tributary of the Todd, recharge the Wanngardi Basin and to a lesser extent the Mereenie aquifer.
Groundwater within this plan area is mainly used for public water supply in Alice Springs.
In accordance with the Water Act 1992, a five year review of the plan was conducted, and the Alice Springs Water Allocation Plan 2016-2026 - Review Report prepared. A new plan is scheduled to be prepared by 16 February 2026.
The Alice Springs Plan Review Water Advisory Committee was established on 19 October 2020 to provide advice on the plan review. It continues the work of the Alice Springs Water Advisory Committee which was appointed by the Minister for Environment and Natural Resources in November 2016.
Reports under the 2016 – 2026 Water Allocation Plan
- Alice Springs Water Allocation Plan 2016-2026 – Technical Review
- Alice Springs Water Allocation Plan 2016-2026
- Alice Springs Town Basin: Groundwater level assessment
- Impact of irrigation on Rocky Hill groundwater quality
- Orange Creek groundwater assessment
- The potential use for groundwater use by vegetation
Reports under the 2006 – 2016 Alice Springs Water Resource Strategy
- Alice Springs Water Resource Strategy 2006-2015 Vol 1 and Vol 2
- Alice Springs Town Basin Salinity and Water Management Review
- Cultural values of Alice Springs Water
- RA00005 Rocky Hill Groundwater Investigation
- Technical review of the Alice Springs Water Strategy
- Volume of Groundwater stored in the Mereenie Aquifer
- Alice Springs Water Allocation Planning Area
- Alice Springs Water Allocation Planning Area Management Zones
Last updated: 19 July 2021
Share this page:URL copied!